Myopia is a progressive and debilitating eye disease that has reached epidemic proportions around the world. My great passion is to preserve vision by halting this disease in my patients and to share what I have learned about myopia management over the past 20 years with my colleagues. I have mentored hundreds and lectured before thousands of optometrists and ophthalmologists from around the globe. One of my favorite places on earth is standing in front of a room full of colleagues and teaching them how to help preserve the vision of their youngest patients.
I am a private practice optometrist specializing in contact lenses for nearly thirty years, earning my Fellowship from the International Academy of Orthokeratology in 2009. I served on the board of directors of the American Academy of Orthokeratology and Myopia Control from 2009 to 2019. I am the former host of the Academy’s “Ortho K Podcast” series. I also serve as Co-Host of the annual Vision by Design Boot Camp for Beginners, and have lectured on Orthokeratology and Myopia Control to doctors from around the world. I have been featured in several television news stories about Orthokeratology, myopia control and children’s vision.
I began private practice in New Jersey in 1987 and practiced there until relocating to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina where I opened Carolina Forest Family Eyecare in 2006.
When not seeing patients or teaching other eye care practitioners about Ortho K and myopia control, I enjoy hiking, scuba diving and have recently earned my American Sailing Academy sailing certificate, the first step in my journey to crossing the Atlantic in a sailboat.
Thomas J. Weshefsky, OD, FIAOMC
4225 Carolina Exchange Dr.
Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
(843) 903-7005 fax
SC License # 1404
- 2007- Present Carolina Forest Family Eyecare, P.A., Myrtle Beach, SC
- 1987- 2006 Private Practice Optometry in New Jersey
- 1983 – Present American Optometric Association
- 2006 – Present South Carolina Optometric Physicians Association
- 2006 – Present Waccamaw Optometric Society
- 2002- Present Orthokeratology Academy of America
- 1983 – 2006 New Jersey Optometric Physicians Association
- 2000 Ciba Vision Clinical Investigator
- 1998 Vistakon Clinical Investigator
Honors And Achievements
- 2009- 2019 Elected to American Academy of Orthokeratology and Myopia Control Board of Directors
- 2009 Orthokeratology Academy of America Fellowship
- 1985 – 1987 Beta Sigma Kappa International Honor Fraternity
- 1983 – 1987 Student Optometric Service to Humanity Co-chairman Team 87
- 1983 – 1987 New Jersey Student Optometric Association, President 1985 – 1986
- 1985 – 1987 Dr. Leslie Mintz Scholarship
- 1986 Pennsylvania College of Optometry Alumni Scholars Scholarship
Oct. 1989 Review of Optometry, May 1989
“Sinusitis Progress’s Into Orbital Cellulitis,” A Case Study
- 1983 – 1987 Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, PA,
Doctor of Optometry
- 1983 – 1985 Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Philadelphia, PA,
Bachelor of Science Degree in Optics
- 1977 – 1978 Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rutherford, NJ
- 1972 – 1976 Biscayne College, Miami, FL
Bachelor of Arts in Science